English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

3 posters

"Octuplets"

Ashley Wendling

"Octuplets" Empty "Octuplets"

Post  Ashley Wendling Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:23 pm

Nayda Suleman a thirty-three year old single mother gave birth to eight children. Some people think that she is selfish because she already had six children at home and has no reliable source of income. She states that having her fourteen children has always been a dream of hers because she wanted to have a big family. I think that this situation could either way. Yes, she could be very happy and excited to have so many children but then again she could just do it for the welfare. Many also worry that she will not be able to take care of all the children on her own. I think that there are plenty of kids in the world that would love to be adopted into a loving home and I do think that it is selfish of her to have all the children on her own. Having so many kids at one time can be very harmful to both the babies and the mother. Her doctor had told her that it could cause bleeding in the brain, intestinal problems, developmental delays, and lifelong learning disabilities. She stated, “I took a risk, it’s a gamble. It always is.” I think that she should have been more considerate and looked at adoption availabilities rather than take the chance of having so many kids that could be unhealthy and suffer from her decisions. The babies were born nine weeks premature but they thankfully all survived. Hopefully she will be able to give them all the proper attention and care that they will need and deserve.octuplets
    meganthompson
    meganthompson

"Octuplets" Empty Re: "Octuplets"

Post  meganthompson Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:47 pm

I agree that it could be looked at two ways. It's nice that she had a dream of wanting a big family, and loves having so many children. I do think though that she should have waited until she was in a stable relationship, and had ways to provide for the children. Right now she also is living in a two bedroom home, and her husband is an Iraq war vet. The six older kids range in age from 7 to 2. All of this seems crazy to me, and a lot of others. I am glad that she kept all the babies, and didnt terminate the pregnancy, but maybe she should have looked at adoption. I guess that it is her choice, and I hope that everything works out for all 15 of them!
    andrewrambow

Post  andrewrambow Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:16 pm

I agree with you when you said that she could have adopted. Like you said there are many homeless kids in our country that have no family at all, and the population of the earth is already very large, so why do this? It would be one thing if you were a stable family and you could handle this kind of responsibility, but when your a single mother without a job trying to raise fourteen kids something just does not seem right. Think of what types of problem this will cause in the future. If each of these kids has only two kids in just one generation this woman has basically added not just fourteen people to the world, but an additional twenty-eight, and so on. I think people like this need to think about the impact they are going to have, and like you said, also the impact on what having eight kids at one time can have on the kids themselves.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:28 pm