English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

5 posters

Stem Cells "They come from where"

scottbecker

Stem Cells "They come from where" Empty Stem Cells "They come from where"

Post  scottbecker Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:28 pm

Stem cell discovery could mean faster healing

Stem Cells

I read through this article and I would like to bring to attention that not all stem cells are bad. People jump up and down thinking that all stem cells are removed from unborn fetus. I would not want stems cells removed from a fetus or to kill to save, but in the story there is a clear distinction that the stem cells are removed from the person. I don’t think that all people know that stem cells can be taken right from your body and used to improve your health or fix a condition. I have my own personal experience with a young man at a rodeo that my wife and I attended. I was speaking to the young man and he was in a wheel chair and had fractured his neck riding a bull. This young man had opened my eyes to the stem cell conservancy and told me and my wife that in Russia they had a machine that was made in California to remove his stem cells in his body and be implanted into his spine to help him walk again. Spiking my interest I asked “well is or has it worked for any one” His response was that they have people getting movement back and standing up. Wow makes you think if you where in a wheel chair and needed that treatment “why do I have to go to Russia” why not in my own country, can’t I do this and have this done and not have to fly overseas. I think the worse part for me was when he told me that when you look at the machine it says on the side of it “MADE IN CALIFORNIA”
    samanthakeeling

Stem Cells "They come from where" Empty Samantha Keeling

Post  samanthakeeling Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:23 pm

Thanks for bring this to our attention. I am very interested in this whole study of stem cell research, and have been ever since I had known someone who had died from Parkinson’s disease. Some people who are against the whole idea of it might have not been directly affected or had been close to someone who would have benefitted from the research. When you see someone in pain, the boy from the Rodeo and my friend, you would want anything just to see them get better. If you put people in their position do you think they would still oppose?
    aleciasmith

Stem Cells "They come from where" Empty Re: Stem Cells "They come from where"

Post  aleciasmith Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:30 pm

I think this is a very interesting new idea that we all should research. I believe most people don’t know that much about stem cell research yet it is one of the most heavily debated topics. I’m glad you also had a somewhat personal story to go with it. A lot of people can stick to their opinions on a subject until they are brought face to face with the actual topic. I think we should think of these issues on a more personal level because I believe then that people would be a lot more open to different ideas.
    Ashley Wendling

Post  Ashley Wendling Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:49 am

I find this article that you wrote about very interesting. It is true that this is one of the biggest controversial issues today. Like you stated, some believe it is helpful to research and other things while others believe that it is killing. It depends on the point of view that you look at it though. As said before, if you were put into a position where it would be helpful to you and your life I am sure you would be more for it. As long as we are not “wasting” the embryos and they are going to good use I think that it could really help a lot of people out.
    jacobhoggard

Stem Cells "They come from where" Empty stem cells

Post  jacobhoggard Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:01 pm

I think that this was a very interesting topic. I had never heard of anybody receiving treatment like the guy you had talked to, I thought that all the stem cells had to come from fetuses. I also thought it was really interesting that the machine to do this was created in the U.S but you have to fly all the way to Russia in order to get treatment. If this medical breakthru is really helping people walk and regain movement again then I think the U.S should obviously start working towards allowing it here in the U.S. But it is exciting to hear about some of the new things they are doing to help improve peoples lives.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:52 pm