English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

"Slumdog Millionaire"

meganthompson
    meganthompson

"Slumdog Millionaire" Empty "Slumdog Millionaire"

Post  meganthompson Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:00 pm

[url=news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090223/ap_en_mo/as_india_slumdog_s_home]'Slumdog' celebrations fill Mumbai's crowded slums[/url]

I think this is a great story; it is amazing that two random kids could have the awesome opportunity to be cast in a movie. And then to have that movie get as much recognition as it has is even better. All of these friends, and family, and strangers are gathered around a small TV. just watching for a little glimpse of the two stars, Rubina Ali, 9, and Azharuddin Mohammed Ismail, 10. When the two were show of the TV cheers and dancing would ring out. I love that these many people had the chance to escape reality if only for a few hours and watch two of there own having this great opportunity. They had there own Oscar party, and it might have been even better then any of the other million dollar parties in Hollywood. It would be great if these two little stars started a trend of directors holding casting calls in small neighborhoods, or places in the world were people need the money, more then just wanting their five minutes of fame. Even though every one is excited for the two now famous kids. Many in the Mumbai slums have also taken offense to the title of the film. They don’t appreciate that the word dog is in the title. I can see how that would be offensive. None of the people in this neighborhood deserves to be called dogs, they are hard workers, and have more work ethic then many other people in the world. Many of the people who live there take pride in their homes, and love to be there. So as great and heartwarming of a story this is, there is also a negative spin, but that’s how it is with most stories.

Current date/time is Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:57 pm