English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

3 posters

Obama and Cuba

rossowrachel

Obama and Cuba Empty Obama and Cuba

Post  rossowrachel Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:02 pm

In this news on President Obama they talk about how he is going to make it easier for people to communicate and deal with people from Cuba. I don’t know if doing this will end up being going for the United States or if it will turn out to be this huge hassle and makes us weaker as a country. I like the idea that Obama wants to bring to Cuba more freedom so that they are more independent and to let them have more of their rights. I am very glad that President Obama wants to make change and to help both the United State and Cuba out, but he needs to make sure that all of the United States is doing okay before he tries to help the rest of the world out. It is the same with the war that we have going on. I know that we need to be over there and try to help create democracy, but if we ourselves are having problems with keeping the United States well protected then shouldn’t be trying to reform others. It will be nice though to have our communication links opened into Cuba. It would allow the United States telecommunications network providers to link to Cuba with fibre-optic cables and satellite technology and permit United States wireless telephone providers to enter roaming service agreements with Cuban firms. It would also permit United States satellite radio and satellite television service providers to broadcast to the island. All this I do believe will help to bring our bond with Cuba closer, but I just wonder how our future will look.
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25331656-23109,00.html
    scottbecker

Obama and Cuba Empty Re: Obama and Cuba

Post  scottbecker Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:50 am

This is one other thing that the president is doing that is pretty much not right. It’s as if he does not want to protect our boarders, we have a problem with employment and he wants to make it easier for illegal’s to become U.S citizens. Now this, I think our change does not have to lift an embargo that we have had on a dictator and people have to look back on what and why we have turned the other cheek with Cuba. I think that Obama is doing a not so good job in office. We wanted change so bad that I don’t think we looked at the fine print with all the stuff he really wanted to do with this country; I think he is right it will get worse before it gets better. I did not know he was meaning he was going to make it worse. Because he is doing a great job.!!!
    andrewrambow

Post  andrewrambow Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:35 pm

I tend to have mixed feeling about this issue. While I feel that opening our doors to our country even a little could present many problems, I do see some good coming about with the lift of the trade embargo. WIth the current state of our economy being able to bring in merchandise from Cuba and also being able to trade our products with them could give our economy a little boost. While there are still many restrictions on being able for Americans to travel to Cuba, it makes it easier for Cuban-Americans to visit their home country. I agree with you that it seems that Obama has very relaxed views on our immigration problem, very much opposite of Bush's administration. Hopefully he has some plan that we are not aware of for all the aliens becoming citizens. Overall I think this relaxation of the rules on Cuba will be for the best. There are many people who would like for a chance to travel to that area, and with America once being on of Cuba's main trading partners, they will not mind seeing some new American made products hit the shelves of there stores.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:39 pm