English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

4 posters

College Drop Outs

rossowrachel

College Drop Outs Empty College Drop Outs

Post  rossowrachel Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:14 pm

In the article College Dropout Rate Climbs as Students Face Challenges; Life Coach Offers College Tips to Success – Tools to Life beta, it talks about some of the main steps in how a college student should be able to manage their time. They need to be able to have fun and yet set reasonable goals for them to achieve. They stated that a top reason for college students to drop out is because of financial problems. I know that I have had enough financial problems just going to Delta as it is now; I can only imagine those going to bigger colleges. On this web page it offers you ten steps for college success. I think that these steps are all pretty basic, know your finance, schedule your life, study time, know what is expected of you, drop a class if you need it, manage how much fun you have in your life, effects of alcohol and drugs, take care of yourself, get help if you need it, and when in doubt ask for help. I think for a lot of younger college students they might be able to easily understand the pressures of all of these things unless they are still living and home with their parents paying for their college. In my opinion there is also a lot of pressure on people to go to college and to get a good education because so many more jobs now require that you have some sort of degree in order to work. More and more people go to college and get exhausted out so there is a higher drop-out rate because of this.
    rossowrachel

College Drop Outs Empty Link site

Post  rossowrachel Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:15 pm

jacobhoggard

College Drop Outs Empty Drop outs

Post  jacobhoggard Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:43 pm

I thought that this was a pretty interesting news article. But the tips they gave seemed kind of like they should be common sense to most students. I think things like not drinking too much, not doing drugs, making study time, and allowing time to still have a social life, are things most students realize they should be doing. If anything I think some of the tips are simply easier said then done, for example most students are doing the best they can when it comes to affording to go to school. So the solution to solving financial problems may not be as simple as setting up a budget plan. But overall I think that this article provides a good reminder on some of the basic things students should be doing to help them get through college.
    katiemiddleton

College Drop Outs Empty Drop outs

Post  katiemiddleton Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:01 pm

College does get exhausting and frustrating a lot and there are plenty of times when I just wanted to give up as well, but I know in order to survive in the future I need to get a degree. Most people don't realize the importance of college and the benefits it has in the future and I believe this needs to be preached more often. I also believe that there should be more help for full time student, in terms of more money give to help support full time students so people can focus more on school and get away with not working as much, but I am sure this will never happen. We can still hope though. I believe if people had less stressful events while attending school there would be less drop outs, but then again, you will get the people that take advantage of the situation and just don't want to work. I mean what do you do?
    alexandramarner

College Drop Outs Empty Re: College Drop Outs

Post  alexandramarner Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:36 pm

This one really hit home for me, I am in my second year at CMU. Last year I managed really well with time and school work. This year is a different story I didn’t live in dorms this year and had to have a job, I found myself struggling to manage school, work, and time for fun. I also try to pack to many classes into a semester. This school is really great; however there are always distractions everyone wants to have fun all the time, which is fine except when you’re having fun instead of doing homework. I think the most important of those steps is the taking care of yourself, most of the time college students don’t eat right or get enough sleep, adding in the partying on the weekend and or weeks really takes effect on a person’s body.

Sponsored content

College Drop Outs Empty Re: College Drop Outs

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:44 pm