English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

2 posters

ABC News Experiment Pairs College-Age Kids and Guns

jacobhoggard

ABC News Experiment Pairs College-Age Kids and Guns Empty ABC News Experiment Pairs College-Age Kids and Guns

Post  jacobhoggard Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:19 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Story?id=7299592&page=3

For all of us college age kids it seems like we have grown up in an era that unfortunately has been full of different gun violence stories. Some of these include the school shootings at Columbine, Virginia Tech, or even at our own schools. I went to Dow high school in Midland and a few years ago a girl was shot several times in the school parking lot and then the shooter killed himself, luckily the girl survived, but it just goes to show how it can happen anywhere. Growing up with all of these acts of violence you would probably think that we would be a little smarter or have at least more common sense when it came to handling guns but the results may surprise you. ABC news set up an experiment where they hired 24 random young people to clean out a garage. When they arrived the producer posing as a homeowner gave them instructions to clean the garage as well as to empty out several chest drawers. In the drawers were two pistols and the experiment was to see how the different people reacted when they found them. Of the 24 people only 3 notified the homeowner, the rest either packed them up with the rest of the stuff, played with them, and one even stared down the barrel. I couldn’t believe that people would actually pick them up and start playing with them or be dumb enough to look down the barrel. I have been around guns my whole life and I have always been taught to handle them very safely, but I think this is a good reminder to all gun owners to keep your guns locked up in a safe or to use trigger locks to prevent anyone from using them improperly
    scottbecker

ABC News Experiment Pairs College-Age Kids and Guns Empty Re: ABC News Experiment Pairs College-Age Kids and Guns

Post  scottbecker Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:10 pm

Wow, I am shocked that this really happened. I have been a gun owner and I have guns in my home. I don't want to sound like I am on a soap box. But the gun is not the bad thing the owner or the person behind it is the problem. I don't know if alot of people would agree, but guns don't kill people but people kill people. I have had guns around and last I checked they did not kill any thing other than the stuff I put in my freezer. I would hope that my children and I have taught them about guns and gun safety that they would find a gun and let me know about it. I this just goes to show you that we have to teach our children about gun safety and gun control

Current date/time is Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:04 pm