English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

4 posters

Wii Fit=Good Exercise?

RyanPraski

Wii Fit=Good Exercise? Empty Wii Fit=Good Exercise?

Post  RyanPraski Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:27 pm

I just read an article that included Heath Bell a professional baseball pitcher for the San Diego Padres who used the Wii Fit to lose weight. This is pretty cool considering he is a professional athlete and can do something so simple to lose weight. I think that the creators of the Wii and the Wii Fit did a great job because he didn't suffer from not eating and what not, but instead played these video games with his children and while doing so he lost up to 25 lbs. I know this video system and the Wii Fit were a big hit when they first came out and i think it's really cool that they are because not only can you play games and have fun while exercising, it actually does help you lose weight. Ordinary people who are looking to lose some weight could really invest in something like this because it truly does work while having fun. I can take this from expierence because I own a Wii and it's not just the Wii Fit but all the games for the Wii. When you play tennis or boxing your continously moving your arms which is a workout. The Wii fit has so many different mini-games that you can play which are pretty fun. The only way you will really want to stop playing the Wii is because you are tired which is good because while having fun your getting in shape.
    lynn
    lynn

Wii Fit=Good Exercise? Empty Re: Wii Fit=Good Exercise?

Post  lynn Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:26 pm

I think the entire Wii game system is an excellent idea. You hear it said so often that "kids just sit in front of the TV and play video games and aren't physically active." What better way to remedy that problem than with physically interactive games. I have only played it a few times, but I can see how it can get one off the couch and make you get a little bit of exercise. Sadly, I'm not a very active person and am somewhat adverse to the thought of exercise being a part of my daily life, so I've been considering getting the Wii Fit and using that. I work in a long term care facility, and we have a Wii game system there for the benefit of some of the older residents. The games are simple enough for them to do, keep them moving, and they enjoy it.
    rossowrachel

Post  rossowrachel Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:48 am

I think that they Wii Fit is a good source of exercise for people also since yes it is something fun and interactive. I do know some people though who own the Wii Fit and are not able to use the Wii Fit balance board though because they are too heavy. This means that they aren’t able to play quite a few of the games that are available on it. I think that they should be able to make a board that is able to support more weight so that the heavier people who are the ones looking to lose the weight can. If I were a heavy person and bought this only to find out I can’t play all the games because I was too heavy I would probably become upset and that would help me in losing any weight.
    andrewrambow

Post  andrewrambow Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:47 pm

The Wii fit is something that I am totally against. I myself own a wii, and enjoy playing it. It is a fun and innovative way to play video games, but no matter what way you want to look at it you are still playing video games. While you may burn more calories while playing boxing or using the wii fit it just does not compare to going out side and playing some basketball, going for a jog, or lifting some weights. It is a lazy persons excuse to not work out I think. I am not saying that it does not do your body any good, it still gets you off your couch and moving around, but there is so much more you could be doing. I think it should be used as an extra bit of exercise for when your done doing something physically active, and staying off the couch. I think it is especially bad for kids because it gives them the idea that playing video games is all of the exercise they need and we already have a large amount of obese kids in America, and I think this could only cause more harm. We need to do more to get people outside and having fun. Instead of paying $100 on the wii fit, go get a year membership for the ymca where they have a pool, a basketball court, and a large amount of gym equipment. Being around other people working out only motivates you even more.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:20 pm