English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

+2
Ashley Wendling
aleciasmith
6 posters

To Tan or not to Tan

aleciasmith

To Tan or not to Tan Empty To Tan or not to Tan

Post  aleciasmith Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:48 pm

Cancer Concerns Have States Mulling Teen Tan Bans

We all love that gorgeous summer glow but do we really want to risk our future on it? Obviously we are all aware that tanning is bad and can cause cancer but the problem lies largely in how young people are starting to tan. This article addresses the idea that states should ban the use of tanning salons for minors. The proposal is that minors will need a note written by their parents or a doctor in order to use a tanning salon. I think that this is a good idea. I used to be a cheerleading coach for my All Star gym and I know of girls who will start tanning at 10 and 11 years old so that they look good in their uniform. Some of the mothers would insist that their daughters went tanning at the salon so that they would look good in the pictures that would be put up on our website. I think this is disgraceful and so dangerous. The girls are so young their skin is still growing and tanning can be so harmful to the health of their skin. I think that it would be great for states to pass legislation banning those under 16 from going tanning. I like to be tan as much as anyone else but I do know the dangers and try not to go as much as possible, but younger adolescents may not know the danger and so there should be rules to keep them safe just like anything else.
    Ashley Wendling

To Tan or not to Tan Empty Re: To Tan or not to Tan

Post  Ashley Wendling Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:45 am

Yes, I would definitely have to say that I agree with you on this one. There is no reason for 10 year olds to be tanning! Like you said, we all love to tan…but at 10?! Now that is a bit much-especially if the parents are pushing it. Some parents get so caught up in what their kids look like that it will soon take an effect on the child and make them think that they have to go to the tanner to get that glow in order to be pretty. I think passing a law stating that you must be at least 16 to tan is a great idea. I don’t think that there should be lee ways with parents notes though because that kind of defeats the purpose. I also think that tanning salons should be more strict with their goggle and lotion use. They should make sure that everyone really does where their goggles and should sell lotion with a little SPF in it.
    LucasBirchmeier

To Tan or not to Tan Empty reply

Post  LucasBirchmeier Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:42 am

I was very interested when I read this article and also a little surprised about this. Having children tan at the age of 10 and 11 is a little bit ridiculous because they are more likely to develop skin cancer when they are exposed to UV rays at that age. I just started to tan last spring when I was 17, and the only reason I did that was because I was going to Florida for spring break and I didn’t want to get burnt and ruin my whole vacation. I just don’t think it is logical to let children tan, they really don’t need to for anything because there 10.
    scottbecker

Post  scottbecker Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:38 am

I find this article very interesting. I just not too long ago got into an argument with my 15 year old daughter about this. I know she has pressure from the other kids and telling her it’s safe and you will be fine. I asked her that day what was the biggest organ of her body, she looked at me and was confused. I said to her, your skin is the largest organ and you can’t get a skin transplant or once you get skin cancer you will really look smoking hot. So she asked me what see could do and I say spray on tan for you girl. I think they should watch the tanning beds and our young teens and what they do. When you 18 go out and destroy you skin but no while you’re under my roof
    Abbey Rytlewski

To Tan or not to Tan Empty Good idea...

Post  Abbey Rytlewski Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:45 pm

I agree with this idea 100%. I also love to be tan, and I must confess I occasionally use the tanning salon to help me acheive that glow. However, I only tan like right before summer or before I go on a vacation to like Florida or something. I use the tanning salon to help me prevent getting completely burnt in the summer sun and to keep myself from looking like a ghost. The problem is that some people use tanning salons every single day and get to the point where they almost look orange. There is no way that becoming so tan your turning orange is in any way good for you or your skin. This worries me about a lot of young people. I would never go to the tanning salons that much. It is especially scary to think about 10 and 11 year olds tanning, I mean c'mon. If I was a mother there would be no way that my kid would be going to a tanning salon at that age. It just isn't right or healthy. I am not saying that tanning is wrong and that everyone should quit doing, even though we really should, I just completely agree with the idea that an age should be set. I believe that anyone under the age of 16 doesn't need to be tanning in salons. It only makes sense. I would almost even suggest they require a person to be 18 to use a tanning bed. I think that since it is such a risky thing that could cause cancer, much like cigarettes, it would only make sense to make tanning be the same age as smoking. When a person is 18 then it is up to them to decide if the risk is worth taking. Plus, usually when someone gets to the age of 18 they are a lot more mature and responsible and usually are more careful about things like tanning. Not always, but generally, 18 year olds won't tan as much and won't tan until they turn orange. I don't know that is just my philosophy on the subject. But for the most part I definitely agree that people should be required to be 16 to use a tanning salon or have a letter from a doctor or parent. It is only benefitting these young kids by not allowing them to tan, in the end it will possibly save their skin.
    rossowrachel

Post  rossowrachel Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:28 pm

No matter what tanning for someone young or old is not healthy. Yes, tanning while you are younger can greatly increase your risks for skin cancer and other health risks, but then again so can the normal sun if someone spends a lot of their time outside enjoying the weather. I do tan, but only when I am preparing to go on vacation so that way I won’t burn from being exposed to the sun all at once. The place where I tan does require that you are at least 18 years of age or else you need a parent’s consent. I do think that this is a good precaution, but legally tanners need to do this since the parents are still responsible for their child’s well-being. I don’t know how wrong tanning to look brown is wrong. I mean if someone is deathly white and looks like a ghost someone could say that that is wrong too.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:17 pm