English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

2 posters

Predicting sickness??

Abbey Rytlewski

Predicting sickness?? Empty Predicting sickness??

Post  Abbey Rytlewski Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:59 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/03/18/tech/cnettechnews/main4874828.shtml

This article reminded me that not all advances in technology are bad and that maybe everything does actually have a purposeful use. This article says that Twitter made a new thing called SickCity and basically it can be used to track illnesses and hopefully predict epidemics before they become full blown epidemics. SickCity is used the same as twitter except people can go on there and talk about their sickness. SickCity keeps stats for like 31 days so we can go back and look at other people and see if there is a pattern. I think this could be really useful especially to help control sickness. It's kind of a reminder that technology can be used for more than just talking with people and posting pictures of yourself, which I was beginning to believe that was all that twitter, myspace, facebook, etc were for. I think this is a cool idea and I hope that it will work out well. Just think, if we could predict epidemics, maybe we wouldn't have them anymore. Also, people could really help each other out and give advice for the sickness, especially if someone else has what they just had. I think it could save some people a trip to the doctor which in today's economy, the less doctor trips the better! I realize that there are other medical websites out there, but I do not know of any that keep stats on who had what and how many people were sick in each city. It might be nice to know if all of your city is coming down with the flu, you would definitely want to be prepared and cautious. If you knew about it then maybe you wouldn't catch it too since you could be on the look out. I don't know but I like the idea and I would surely keep track of what was going on in my city and surrounding cities. I want every warning I can get in order to prevent myself from being sick, I hate being sick!!
    katiemiddleton

Predicting sickness?? Empty SickCity Could Definitely be a Good Thing

Post  katiemiddleton Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:26 pm

I think if more people use this site to talk about their illnesses it will save a lot of unneccesary trips to the doctor and save people so extra cash on top of it. A lot of times when we are sick there is no point to go to the doctors because of the fact they can't really do anything, especially for the common cold. If it is something that can be faught off within a couple of days then you could find that out with the sickcity thing. I think this will catch on qucik and more people will start using it faster than we think. Plus like you said, it is a positive step for technology. On the other hand, I don't really see how it can stop an epedemic really. I mean, how are you going to stop something that spread as fast as an epedemic can?

Current date/time is Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:56 pm