English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

5 posters

Continued Michael Phelps Story?

RyanPraski

Continued Michael Phelps Story? Empty Continued Michael Phelps Story?

Post  RyanPraski Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:49 am

As you may or may not already know the story surrounding Michael Phelps the news just keeps getting worse and worse. Last week Michael Phelps was featured in a photo that was spread worldwide in less than a day, the photo concealed Michael Phelps and his mouth around a bong supposibly holding marijuana. If you didn’t feel bad that this picture was spread around to world news in the matter of hours well maybe you will feel bad for him as this week several sponsors speak out regarding there spokesman(Michael Phelps). This week his punishment was laid out. USA swimming suspended Phelps from swimming or training with them for 3 months even though they said they would accept his apology. Phelps is being hurt with this infraction because not only did he get suspended from USA swimming but sponsors such as Kellogg and Subway announced that they will not extend their contract with the record setting Olympic gold medal winner. I do not know what many people’s opinions are regarding this subject. Last week I was appalled that he would do such a thing like this, I mean yes he is only human but when you are a multi-millionaire, a record setting gold medal winner and a role model to many you have to be more careful. Obviously he probably likes to party, but maybe he should not be doing it where things can be revealed so easily. He made a mistake and people should get over this. I do not think sponsors such as Kellogg and Subway should take such rash actions towards Phelps such as not extending his contract with them because of this incident. What is your take regarding the sponsors decision towards the Phelps incident?
    RyanPraski

Continued Michael Phelps Story? Empty Re: Continued Michael Phelps Story?

Post  RyanPraski Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:50 am

rossowrachel

Post  rossowrachel Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:10 pm

I totally agree and understand with what you are saying. Phelps is how old again?> What kind of guy at this stage in his life wants to give everything up? Yeah he is looked up to as a role model and yes he was caught in a moment of weakness, but look what he has accomplished for us!
    alexandramarner

Continued Michael Phelps Story? Empty Phelps

Post  alexandramarner Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:14 pm

I agree Michael Phelps shouldn’t have been smoking pot with him being a role model and all, but seriously give the guy a break. He is only human. I don’t think it was smart to punish him by taking away his training for three months, and I also think it is stupid for his sponsors to not want to have a contract with him after this. So many people smoke pot, I am not saying it is okay too or anything but I don’t feel it is that big of a deal. At least he wasn’t caught on steroids or something ridiculous.
    aleciasmith

Continued Michael Phelps Story? Empty Phelps is getting the short end of the stick

Post  aleciasmith Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:25 pm

I think it’s ridiculous how much they are punishing him when drugs can be found in many other athletes in many other sports. Professional baseball, football you name it there are players on steroids. I think that it’s the institutions that are to blame. They decide who to punish and fair punishment is no longer something that we believe in. It’s almost ridiculous what people get away with. I understand that he is a role model and that he should be on his best behavior, I couldn’t agree more, however suspending him for 3 months when a NFL player only gets suspended for 3 games if caught doing steroids, seems a bit rash. I think the punishments delivered by the institutions are quite skewed.
    LucasBirchmeier

Post  LucasBirchmeier Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:51 pm

I feel the same way as you do Ryan, I think Kellogg and subway should still sponsor him after the devastating incident. Michael Phelps is in fact a human being and everyone makes mistakes. Just because he is famous doesn’t give him the right to do drugs and things without being punished, but I mean everyone makes mistakes and I feel that everyone should just give him a break.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:53 pm