English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

+2
jacobhoggard
LucasBirchmeier
6 posters

high school coach fired

LucasBirchmeier

high school coach fired Empty high school coach fired

Post  LucasBirchmeier Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:37 am

unapologetic coach of 100-0 win fired by school

In this article it talks about how a high school coach was fired after a 100-0 win over another team. The school thought of this as an act of a shame and embarrassment, while the coach thought there was nothing wrong with it. When I was in high school we were always taught to respect the other team, and that meant when our team was up by a comfortable margin and the game was decided, that the coach would put in the back ups and not try to increase the lead anymore. I feel that the coach should have told his girls to take it easy on the team and let them score some baskets. Instead of letting his girls shoot 3’s in the fourth quarter he should have told them to take it easy and let the other team have fun, not get embarrassed and shut out. The team was up 59-0 at half time, at that point the coach should have let his bench play and let the opposing team score points. The school thought of this as a shameful act as the coach did not, because there was a conflict of views the coach was in turn fired. I feel that the school was doing the right thing when they decided to fire the coach; I can’t believe that he let his team shut out another team 100-0 without having any remorse. If I was the coach I would have even let the other team have some easy buckets just to ensure that they did not end the game with a big zero on the scoreboard.[url][/url]
    jacobhoggard

high school coach fired Empty Coach fired

Post  jacobhoggard Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:50 pm

I agree that the coach should be fired after allowing this to happen. After hearing the coach played a full court press and allowed his team to shoot threes threw out the entire game I thought that was bad enough. But when I found out the losing school was a small school for kids with learning disabilities, I couldn’t believe it. I don’t by into the coach’s excuse that he was simply “playing the game as it was meant to be played”. It was a meaningless high school game and if the coach isn’t smart enough to ease up and pull his players out of a full court press after leading by 50 he doesn’t deserve to be a coach.
    lynn
    lynn

high school coach fired Empty Re: high school coach fired

Post  lynn Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:36 pm

Not being a basketball fan, I've never heard of this "mercy-rule" or "golden-rule". I've never witnessed a game, that I remember anyway, that was this one-sided with points, either. So, this is a new concept for me and I'm going to respond how I feel just "off the top of my head and heart" without knowing anything about basketball rules and concepts.

I understand where this is coming from, and yet I feel that if they were winning, then so be it. The opposing team had been winless for the last 4 seasons. They may be a small school but, obviously, didn't have a very competitive team. I compare it to myself playing a board game with someone who is completely losing. Does that mean I have to back off a little and let the other player get ahead a little bit? No...unless it's a little kid or something. I don't think one's having learning disabilities would necessarily make them unable to play basketball well - they might just have a "not so good" team. Honestly, I'm really not a vindictive or competive person, but if I'm winning, I'm winning! Why should I have to "back off" or end the game? If that basketball team was doing well, then so be it, like I said.

As stated too, I don't know all the little unwritten rules of basketball - let alone the written ones. Plus, there may be more to this coach and why he was fired than what has been reported.
    RyanPraski

Post  RyanPraski Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:52 pm

It is kind of unbelievable what this coach did. To let his team go on and beat a team 100-0 is shamefull. I saw this in the newspaper a few days ago and during the game the girls thought nothing was wrong but after it had happened most of the girls felt shameful and emberassed and wanted to apologize and forfeit their game. It is sad to think that this coach continously tryed to beat this team by more and more. The first thing every student-athlete learns is about sportsmanship and it certainly was not on display during the game. He definately deserves to be fired after this. To think all of this was being done to a school for children with learning disabilities just drives me crazy. Im glad hes fired.
    brianatapia

high school coach fired Empty Basketball coach?

Post  brianatapia Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:09 pm

There is no way that this coach should still keep his job. Not only did he make a fool of his girls on his team but also the entire school. I will quote my elementary basketball coach when he said, "this game is not just about winning it is about having fun and getting to know who you are". I really took that comment to heart when he spoke those words. But it not only goes for basketball it goes for all things in life. If this coach is teaching his players to try and make the other team feel they cannot even score a point then what is he teaching them in practice.
    andrewrambow

Post  andrewrambow Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:03 pm

This was the topic that I was going to choose, but it seems you already took care of that. I think that there are many ways to look at this, but I will give you my perspective. I do not think the coach should have been fired, he was doing his job, and obviously he was doing pretty well. Some people might say that the game should have been called off, or the girls should have held back, but I think that would have done more harm than good. I see it as by suffering a big defeat you learn from it, forget about it, then move on. The other team might think it is insulting that they are being beaten so bad the other team has to hold back, or make them give up. Knowing that the losing team tried all the way till the very end showed they were competitive, and I think that is a very good quality. Overall we all know things are not going to be easy for us in our lives, and no one is going to bail us out, so we need to learn to handle rough situations.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:38 am