English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

4 posters

The Search Continues

RyanPraski

The Search Continues Empty The Search Continues

Post  RyanPraski Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:09 am

How could things get any worse? A couple of days ago 2 NFL players and their buddies went out in the Gulf Of Mexico on one of their boats and things went bad quickly. The weather that day was starting to get very bad and the waves were harsh and their boat eventually capsized. They did however find and were able to put on the 4 life vests that were aboard the boat but they were in the middle of the ocean waiting for help. They would just float and wait for help to come, so they all hung together. Eventually they all seperated and word got out so the coast guard has been searching frantically for days and an estimated 1600 miles have been searched. It was so difficult to find the men because the waves were white capping and very large os it was difficult to see anything but yesterday hte coast guard found Nick Schulyer clinging to the hull of the boat and was rescued after floating in the water for 20 someithng hours. The search continues for the other 3 men but there are yet to be found and no one knows how much time they have left or if they will ever be found at all. I couldn't imagine just floating in the water with no way of calling for help, just waiting; this is one of the worst ways to die and i really hope the other 3 men are found and soon.
    RyanPraski

The Search Continues Empty Here's the link

Post  RyanPraski Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:10 am

Ashley Wendling

The Search Continues Empty Re: The Search Continues

Post  Ashley Wendling Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:51 am

I read an article on this same subject. Things like this are scary because it could happen to any one of us. Just a couple of guys wanting to go out on a nice little fishing trip never thinking they would not return! When they first left for the trip it was nice but quickly turned for the worse. They all had their life jackets on but only one was able to cling to the boat. This is very sad. I cannot even imagine what Nick is going through or the families of the other lost ones. I just heard that they were calling the search off. This shows that we need to make sure we always ahead of the game safety wise…meaning knowing where the lifeboats are located and who to call for help. Like the article said, a storm came and tipped the boat over, so obviously they did not have time to think much but only panic. Hopefully some more signs may show up so they will continue to search.
    jacobhoggard

The Search Continues Empty search continues

Post  jacobhoggard Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:54 pm

I agree that falling off or having your boat sink and then having to just float there with no way to call for help would have to be one of the worst ways to die. I can’t even imagine how that must feel to be in a situation like that. I go fishing quite a bit mostly just on the lakes around where I live but I think that this story is a good reminder to boaters and fisherman that every time you go out, regardless of how large the body of water you need to let somebody know where your going and when you are expecting to be back.
    LucasBirchmeier

Post  LucasBirchmeier Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:02 pm

When I read this article I was thinking about how scary that could have been for them. I personally don’t like going out on the water because if anything would happen, then there is basically nothing you can do out there if the boat I was on flipped or sunk. I can’t believe that out of the 4 people out there that the 2 football players just gave up and let go of the boat after 24 hours or so. Im not surprised that the family called off the search after they were not found, because the ocean is so big that it would be impossible to find them even if they were afloat.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content