English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

3 posters

strip search

alexandramarner

strip search Empty strip search

Post  alexandramarner Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:42 pm

This story is now going to Supreme Court after happening six years ago. A 13-year old, eighth grade girl was stripped searched by her school officials for being accused of giving out ibuprofen medicine. The school has a no drug policy unless there is written permission. The court is saying the school overacted, when they made the girl strip down to her underwear and bra. The girl was humiliated, and no drugs were found on her at all. I understand the schools drug policy, but the girl was an honor student who had no previous troubles at the school. I do not feel that if someone was accused of giving out ibuprofen they should be strip searched, the girls backpack was clean too. My own brother who is currently in 8th grade has never been in trouble, got accused of associating with another child who had supposedly had drugs on them. They searched my brother’s locker and his pants pockets. They did not strip search him or even check his shoes. My brother just kind of laughed at the situation because he knew he did nothing wrong. I think schools should really watch how they handle problems such as these, I understand any type of drug is not tolerated, however strip searching a child is probably not the best idea.
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/19/scotus.strip.search/index.html
    andrewrambow

strip search Empty Re: strip search

Post  andrewrambow Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:59 pm

I think this story is very hard to believe. What reason could anyone have to strip search a thirteen year old child? Even if the child was suspected of having ibuprofen there is no reason to resort to a strip search. That violates every right of a student and at no level of education should a student be subject to harassment such as this, especially at such a young age. I do not know what the school board is going to do to try to resolve this issue, not much can be made up for that kind of trauma. I am surprised that an issue this serious has to be taken to such a high level of government. It is pretty obvious that the school was in the wrong. Unless there was some suspicion of the student having a highly deadly weapon hidden on them could I almost see something like this happening. Still there are alternatives such as calling in the police, or even the parents. Schools should not take matters like this into their own hands. It will only end up in even more conflict.
    scottbecker

Post  scottbecker Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:58 pm

I would have to agree with you on this one.I have a 15 year old and if she got strip searched for no reason I would be very upset and I would be have a chat with the people that did it. On the other side, some times the one side is told and the other side the is worse get told, maybe the girl was a problem child and not saying she deserved it or even its justified. but sometime in the story the other side gets lost. what got it tto the point where they made the choice to do this meaning the school. I wonder what went through there minds that would even give the the thought to do this. I know there are troubled kids out there, but this is over the top. once again, I don't think this was the right thing to do, but was the girl just pushing to see how far she could go with the situation. ???

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content