English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

5 posters

Invasion of Privacy or Deserveded Recognition?

lynn
    lynn

Invasion of Privacy or Deserveded Recognition? Empty Invasion of Privacy or Deserveded Recognition?

Post  lynn Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:12 pm

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=12154534&ch=4226713&src=news

This video may contain up to 30 seconds of advertising at the beginning. Please wait patiently.

This video is in regard to the Pentagon ban on taking pictures of the coffins of troops killed in combat. President Obama is reconsidering the ban, which was started in January 1991 by then Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney during the administration of President George H. W. Bush, just weeks before the start of the Gulf War against Iraq. A couple different families are interviewed, one of which is a mother who would like to see the ban lifted, stating that she feels her son deserves the same recognition as the soldiers who are welcomed home alive. Another family, a sister of a fallen soldier, supports the ban, citing lack of respect for the family's privacy. The big debate is whether this ban protects a soldier's and family's privacy or whether they are being denied deserved recognition.

I found it interesting that the ban went into place just before the Iraq war. This was a political move at its best, done so that the American public would not be subjected to the realities of an American war in which thousands of troops die. There is fear that public support of the war would drop if the public actually saw the casualties.

Although privacy is important, I feel that we should be able to see the photos of the flag-draped coffins as they come home. Those soldiers deserve the same recognition as the ones who return alive. I don't mean that I would want it to become a media frenzy - it should be done respectfully and with dignitiy.

I hope this is a ban which is lifted.
    lynn
    lynn

Invasion of Privacy or Deserveded Recognition? Empty Re: Invasion of Privacy or Deserveded Recognition?

Post  lynn Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:42 pm

Just an update.

Media Allowed To Witness Return Of War Casualty For First Time In 18 Years

DOVER, Del. — For the first time since an 18-year ban on news coverage of returning war dead was lifted, the media witnessed the arrival Sunday night of a soldier killed overseas.

After receiving permission from family members, the military opened Dover Air Force Base in Delaware to the press. An eight-member team wearing white gloves and camouflage battle fatigues carried the body of 30-year-old Air Force Staff Sgt. Phillip Myers of Hopewell, Va., off a military jet in a solemn ceremony on a cool, clear night.

Myers was killed April 4 near Helmand province, Afghanistan, when he was hit with an improvised explosive device, the Department of Defense said.

The ceremony under the yellowish haze of airport floodlights took about 20 minutes with Myers' wife and other family members in attendance.

Myers was a member of the 48th Civil Engineer Squadron with the Royal Air Force in Lakenheath, England, one of the bases the U.S. Air Force uses in the country. He was awarded a Bronze Star for bravery last year in recognition of his efforts in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, the Department of Defense said.

The new Pentagon policy gives families a choice of whether to admit the press to ceremonies at Dover, home to the nation's largest military mortuary and the entry point to the U.S. for service personnel killed overseas.

Critics of the previous policy had said the government was trying to hide the human cost of war.

President Barack Obama had asked for a review of the ban, and Defense Secretary Robert Gates has said that the blanket restriction made him uncomfortable. The administration will let families decide whether to allow photographs.

For example, if several caskets arrive on the same flight, news coverage will be allowed only for those whose families have given permission.

The ban was put in place by President George H.W. Bush in 1991, at the time of the Persian Gulf War. From the start, it was cast as a way to shield grieving families.

There have been several exceptions since then, most notably in 1996 when President Bill Clinton attended the arrival of the remains of Commerce Secretary Ron Brown and 32 others killed in a plane crash in Croatia. In 2000, the Pentagon distributed photographs of the arrival of remains of those killed in the bombing of the USS Cole and in 2001, the Air Force distributed a photograph of the remains of a victim of the Sept. 11 attack on the Pentagon.

One objection to lifting the ban had been that if the media were present, some families might feel obligated to come to Dover for the brief, solemn ritual in which honor guards carry the caskets off a plane. Few families now choose to attend, in part because doing so means leaving home and the support system of friends at a difficult time. The sudden trip can also be expensive and logistically difficult to arrange.
    Ashley Wendling

Invasion of Privacy or Deserveded Recognition? Empty Re: Invasion of Privacy or Deserveded Recognition?

Post  Ashley Wendling Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:18 am

I agree with you on this issue, I too would like to see the ban lifted. BUT I do think that it should be choice for the families. I think that either the soldier should state before leaving if something were to happen what he would want done OR the family should be able to choose if they would like it private or recognized. I think that it would be good to let American citizens to look at the fallen heroes who fought for our safety, freedom, etc. They deserve to be recognized and honored. There should be limits on this however, so that the media cannot make it a “frenzy” like you stated.
    scottbecker

Post  scottbecker Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:20 pm

I agree with the fact that we should lift the ban. The war is a touchy subject when it comes to the death of our loved ones over there, think of it this way. You loved one goes over and dies and one family is honored to have him die for the United States. Other families they are angry they had to die and it was a loss they can't understand. I think that we should see the coffin draped with the
    American flag for us to see the sacrifice that the military makes for us. I really think that people seeing what the sacrifice really is for our freedom.
    meganthompson
    meganthompson

Post  meganthompson Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:22 pm

I agree I do think that the ban was put into place partially because the government didn’t want the American public to be fully aware of the impact of war. It is one thing to see this many killed or even read their names in the paper or of TV. Seeing the actual coffins of the fallen heroes though would help us to better grasp the reality of war. I do also feel like the government was trying to protect the integrity of the men and women in the coffins too though. I think that the ban should be lifted but it should be up to each soldier’s families to decide if they want the pictures, and videos to be public. Part of me thinks it would be nice to be able to see the pictures to pay respect and to also better grasp war, but also I can understand that those moments need to be kept private. I think whatever decision is made it will be a good one and done in respect for the fallen heroes.
    aleciasmith

Post  aleciasmith Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:48 pm

This is just another example of how the government likes to keep us in the dark. I think the ban should be lifted no doubt about it. It’s not only a respect thing for the brave men and women that fight to keep this country safe it’s also a way to reach the American public. By having a ban on being able to show pictures of coffins we’re keeping the American ignorant to the issues. I think it would do some good for Americans to see what kind of toll wars have on families in America. Maybe we should allow the public to actually see what is going on.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:31 pm