English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

2 posters

When Parents Call God Instead of the Doctor

jacobhoggard

When Parents Call God Instead of the Doctor Empty When Parents Call God Instead of the Doctor

Post  jacobhoggard Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:17 pm

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1877352,00.html\

This article discusses cases where parents have refused medical treatment for there children because of religious beliefs. A couple of the examples they used were for an 11 year old girl who died because of diabetes and a 16 year old boy who died of complications from a urinary tract infection. In both of these cases the kids could have been saved if the parents would have allowed the doctors to treat them. In many of these situations child abuse charges are being sought against the parents, but they are arguing that they were only doing what they feel is right. According to them medical treatment is a choice and there first amendment protects there right to refuse treatment. Most of the time courts are ruling against the parents and siding with the doctors and parents are being charged with things such as child abuse and even negligent homicide.
    I agree with the courts ruling to charge these parents. I think that if an adult wants to refuse medical treatment then that is there choice but they should not be allowed to refuse treatment for there children. In all of the examples given the children could have been treated easily and would still be alive today. I guess to me I just cannot understand how they can watch there own children suffer and eventfully die when they know they could easily be saved. Maybe it’s because I am not an overly religious person but there is no way I could ever understand how someone could let there son die from a urinary tract infection.
    Ashley Wendling

When Parents Call God Instead of the Doctor Empty Re: When Parents Call God Instead of the Doctor

Post  Ashley Wendling Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:11 am

This article could go two different ways. That sounds like a really tough situation to be in. I can understand both points of view. On one hand, there is an argument that if a child has the opportunity to be saved with treatment then give it them. On the other hand, if the family is really that religious then they probably think that it would be the wrong thing to do since it is against their religious. Like you stated, even if they are very religious and I were to see my child suffering and dieing when I know that they can be saved I would definitely give them the treatment to be saved. I would not be able to live with knowing they could have been saved with a simple medicine!

Current date/time is Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:35 pm