English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

2 posters

Afghanistan Rape Law...

Abbey Rytlewski

Afghanistan Rape Law... Empty Afghanistan Rape Law...

Post  Abbey Rytlewski Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:24 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/04/06/afghanistan.law/index.html?iref=werecommend

This article is just wrong on so many levels. Well, not the article but the law that was passed in Afghanistan. As most of you probably already know, women are treated very unequal there. Men have complete control and dominance over women and basically tell them what they are allowed to do. First off, this is a huge issue with me because I think that men should never be allowed to control women and vice versa. I have always felt extreme sympathy for the women in countries like Afghanistan because I cannot even imagine having to live like that. Having to wait for permission from my husband to even leave the house, having to wear cloths over my face and entire body so that no one can see me, and having to not look people in the eyes ever. I mean, can you imagine? One of the reasons I am thankful to live in the U.S. But, anyways, they just passed a new law which has to do with women not be allowed to leave the house without permission first and WORST OF ALL.... women HAVE to have sex with their husband whenever the husband wants to. This new law says that even if the woman says no, her husband can still have sex with her. This is pretty much rape! Now, I realize that they are married, but still, rape can and does occur within marriages. I think this is just another way of giving the men even more power of these poor women. Now a woman can't even not have sex if she doesn't want to. I mean, there are certain things that every woman should have a say in and this is definitely one of those things. Countries like this just make me so disgusted. And the sad part is these women have no choice but to deal with the laws and men. These women aren't allowed to work most of the time so they have no money and no way of leaving the country even if they wanted to. It's just too sad. These men purposely do everything to trap these women into staying so that they can have complete control and power over them.
    aleciasmith

Afghanistan Rape Law... Empty Re: Afghanistan Rape Law...

Post  aleciasmith Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:02 pm

Pretty much rape? That is rape! This is so disgusting and completely depressing. The saddest part about this article is that rape among marriages was probably already happening but now even if a woman could have gotten help she can’t now because the law says her husband can have sex with her whenever he wants regardless of how she feels about it. Honestly it’s laws like this that make me worried about our world, luckily I live in the U.S. but it still wrenches my heart to hear about countries that think that treating women like this is ok. In America we get married and feel some sort of protection and comfort the poor women in Afghanistan now have to worry about terror in the home if their married just as much as they had to worry about terror in the street if they were to stay single. How could we ever fix this problem?

Current date/time is Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:54 pm