English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

American Civic Association

alexandramarner

American Civic Association Empty American Civic Association

Post  alexandramarner Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:42 pm

This is pretty sad. There was a shooting at Binghamton American Civic Association, where immigrants can go for schooling and help to better their English. Twelve people were shot to death, and others were injured. This news article explains how most of the immigrants came to America from places like Afghanistan and Iraq, to be safer. I feel terrible for these families that lost someone, because they moved here for safer living and to better themselves. The article says the gun man was a Vietnamese immigrant, who had recently lost his job but was taking classes at the American Civic Association. Police are not quite sure what his motive was for killing all these people. The only relief I felt after reading this story, is knowing that an American citizen didn’t kill all these people. I am glad that the people that lost family members to this shooting still feel somewhat safe in America as stated in the article. The one woman that was killed was going to the civic center to better her English is hopes of being able to become a teacher. Her husband had urged her not to go that day, but she wanted to make up for time she missed; that is probably the saddest part.
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/05/binghamton.victims/index.html

Current date/time is Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:50 pm