English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

4 posters

Celebraties and Adoption

meganthompson
    meganthompson

Celebraties and Adoption Empty Celebraties and Adoption

Post  meganthompson Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:40 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/30/martin.adopt/index.html

This story caught my eye, because I have wondered this myself. We see celebrities travel across the world to pick out babies, and toddlers form other nations. When we the United States have 500,000 babies, toddlers, and teens waiting to be adopted. I think it is great that this babies from other nations are being adopted don’t get me wrong. However, I think that we need to look closer to home in this situation. I think we as Americans get excited to fly to be able to fly to places like china and adopt these cute little babies and we sometimes over look the fact that there are thousands of kid’s right here that need a home. Celebrities have such a huge impact on what the rest of the population does, so if a celebrity like Madonna decided to adopt a little American girl, instead of the little Malawi girl then I think the whole population would start to look closer to home. Or these celebrities could be adopting international kids, and American born kids! Which would make everyone happy. I love the idea of adoption I think that every child should have the opportunity to grow up in a home, with a family.
    aleciasmith

Celebraties and Adoption Empty Re: Celebraties and Adoption

Post  aleciasmith Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:51 pm

I’m so glad that you touched on this. I completely agree. Americans often overlook the problems in our own country because we feel the U.S. doesn’t have any of the problems we see around the world, from kids that need adopting, to poverty. We tend to overlook our backyards and instead travel thousands of miles to fix the problems that we have right here. Not that I am against adoption either I think it’s great that people adopt children from other countries that would otherwise most likely die. I just wish that we would look at our own country first and try to solve the problems here.
    lynn
    lynn

Post  lynn Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:32 am

First of all, I get aggravated by all the media hoopla surrounding Madonna's adoptions. It's her business what she chooses to do and where she goes to adopt a child, and not the media's and the American public's business. We have more important things to think about than where Madonna goes to adopt her child.

In any event, I thought this was a very interesting article. I think Mr. Martin is right. We do need to have reform in this country regarding our adoption laws so that it would be easier and less costly for people to adopt children right here in America. That's why so many people go overseas to adopt. Many people I know have adopted children from Russia. It's just an easier process all around.
    jacobhoggard

Celebraties and Adoption Empty Celebs and Adoption

Post  jacobhoggard Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:00 pm

I thought that this was a good article which brought up a very interesting point. it is kind of weird that all of these celebrities fly all around the world to adopt kids when there are so many kids that need adopting right here in America. Obviously adopting a child regardless of what country it comes from is a good thing, but I do think that adopting children from the U.S should be the first option. I have always felt the same way when it comes to the millions of dollars the U.S sends over seas to help fight poverty. While it’s a good thing that were helping these less fortunate countries, we need to focus more on fixing the poverty problems we have right here in America.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:07 pm