English 112 Hot Topics

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
English 112 Hot Topics

This forum is designed to analytically discuss the issues/events affecting us in today's society.

+3
scottbecker
rossowrachel
andrewrambow
7 posters

Doomsday 2012

andrewrambow

Doomsday 2012 Empty Doomsday 2012

Post  andrewrambow Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:52 am

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/01/27/2012.maya.calendar.theories/index.html

As most of you may or may not know, on December 21, 2012 the world is going to end. At least that is what the Mayan's who were alive thousands said. But who are we suppose to believe something that was said by people who have not been alive for so long, and people with all our knowledge can't predict what the world will be like in just ten years. This article talks about some of the possible outcomes that could lead to our destruction, such as volcanoes erupting and causing the earth to reverse its rotation, or solar flares knocking out all electronic devices. However even professional researchers who spend their lives studying the mayans argue that there is not enough evidence to say that this is what the mayan's truly said would happen. I do not like to think that there is even a possibility that the earth could end in such a short amount of time, but I think this is just another hype like the year 2000 was. Only time will tell if this will actually happen, but many experts say that it may not represent the end of the world, but the start of something new. Either way it is still scary to think about and I am sure even the non believers will be a little nervous on December 20,2012, but we can all hope for the best.
    rossowrachel

Doomsday 2012 Empty Re: Doomsday 2012

Post  rossowrachel Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:31 pm

This is diffidently an interesting topic that can easily be argued. Who is to say that they weren’t right when predicting the end in December 20, 2012? Maybe they were able to research that our researchers can’t do. Either way I don’t think that anyone will truly know what is going to happen that day until it does. I don’t think that the world is going to end, but then again it very well could. Really anything is possible in the world. For all the fire and stuff raining down, it could be like a massive nuclear war that we undergo. There are so many things that can happen, and I think it is best not to worry about it now, but just keep living your life.
    scottbecker

Doomsday 2012 Empty No Worries !!!

Post  scottbecker Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:05 pm

The Dooms day theory that article makes me laugh; I agree the Y2K was the big scare. We are still here people, also I do believe there is an end of the world and I believe that it will come it says so in the bible. If some one wants to see all the things that are coming true look at the book of TRUTH. I would like to say that when Jesus does come back to judge the living we will not be able to wear a t-shirt saying “Jesus is going to be here on this day” lol people will not know when this is going to happen. I am not scared to die because I know where I am going and your right there is no end I have eternal life with my savoir. So next time you want to look at when the world will end, say who cares if you know the man, your going to live for ever and ever so let it end I have a awesome future ahead. God Bless
    jacobhoggard

Doomsday 2012 Empty Doomsday

Post  jacobhoggard Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:30 pm

I thought that this was a very interesting news article. I don’t think that anything will really happen on the December 21, 2012, but I think it will be interesting to see how the rest of the public reacts. I remember how serious some people took the Y2K scare so I can definitely see some people doing the same types of things. From the sounds of it most of the experts agree that the Mayans prediction is probably nothing to worry about but I think at the very least everybody who is aware of the story will be thinking about it when the date finally does arrive.
    Ashley Wendling

Post  Ashley Wendling Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:03 am

This was definitely an interesting article to read! It is kind of scary to think that the world could possibly end on December 21, 2012! Although I am a firm believe that the end of the world will come like a “thief in the night.” I am Christian so obviously I believe that no one really knows when the world is going to end. I definitely do not like putting a date to end the earth. Even though I do not believe it will end, I will for sure be nervous on the 20th like you said! It is a very scary thought!
    lynn
    lynn

Post  lynn Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:20 am

I've been hearing about this for awhile. I think it's just another crazy "hype" that many people are going to cash in on. In the article, author Lawrence Joseph said he's worried his book's title (Apocolypse 2012) might scare people, but that he "wanted to alert the public about possible dangers ahead." Books with titles such as that don't exist to alert the public of anything, but rather to make a hefty profit because people will buy into all this and purchase the books. It's people like Joseph Lawrence and his publishing company who are going to use this 2012 theory to prey on people's fear and make money from it. I believe that the "only dangers ahead" are the ones that the general public will create for themselves as the hype and the fear increase over the next 3-1/2 years.
    RyanPraski

Post  RyanPraski Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:12 pm

Gimme a break. The only way the world could just end on December 21, 2012 is if the whole planet just blew up, come on how liekly is that? Yes this article was very interesting to read but how can you say that you truly believe the Mayan's were true. Who cares if they predicted it to end on such and such day, doesn't mean its going to happen. It's not like they can see into the future or something. Yah maybe some people will get scared after reading this article but there's no way the world is just going to end. Yes one day the world is going to end and that is when the sun blows up millions of years from now and things will start over from there. Don't worry bout the day of December 21, 2012.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:55 pm